Friday, October 20, 2017

Created in Mid-Air

What feeling lit upon my shoulder
Hiding from my eyes as I looked
To see what strange emotion I felt?

Why, I soon realized it was happiness
It was a light happiness
Not stemming from anything
Not a cause and effect happiness
Not a happiness from a special occasion

This happiness was near to
A small song bird
Out of season with Fall's
Eminent hardening.

I was hosting sisters
At my temporary home
After a day of laughter and games
Competition held in mid-air by games
Not allowed to hurt or discount

I was unattached to any material objects
In the house which were arranged by me
But not held dear for longer than a season
Unattached to contracts or expectations
Only an agreement of geography to
Experience family most days of the week.

This happiness was created in mid-air
At the center of the table
Where my family and close friends
Played as a circle of commitment
To fun and games in the middle of the day
Refusing to be hardened off by the season.

Kelly Voelker

No comments:

Post a Comment