Thursday, November 11, 2021

My New Home

I step outside and realized I'm welcomed everywhere I see outside my home.  As far as I would choose to wander is mine for the moment, yet requires nothing of me except shared reality. Ownership is remote and has trusted decisions when needed to be mine.  Otherwise the precise geometry of the large pines and self regulating pastures and fence lines guide and remain automatically. The creatures seen and unseen have well established patterns and knowledge of the area in which I may live as if in a natural basket of well being.

The house has waited for us, with our expertise, to repair and focus attention on those hidden problems which others do not see.  The goal is to make the house hum with precision and secure boundaries between the outside and inside where two different sets of rules apply. 

I honor the field mouse and tree frogs nearby, which have shown themselves to me one by one.  I agree on their habitat and will delight in watching the mouse run through open pasture like a miniature deer. I will listen to the tree frog sing as I work in the garage.  The catbirds patrol my outside windows for insects, meow from the hidden pine boughs and perch at the pinnacle of the pines; a vector of known mathematics to some supreme designer of catbirds and wind-resistant trees.

Kelly Voelker

No comments:

Post a Comment